Friday, April 08, 2005

Sneek peek into Holland..

For sometime, Holland lies only in my dreams, the nicest place on earth, prettiest flowers and great landmarks such as the windmills. Now that I was there, I feel glad and thankful (to Allah) to make my dreams came true.

When I was drafting up the itineries for Holland, I simply have the idea (with Aidie) that these are the places I need to step foot to. Cheese place, Windmill place, tulip place. We then worked our way there, and found ourselves at the grandest place for cheese, grandest place for windmill, grandest place for tulips. Perhaps I put too much expectation that I feel these figures looked much nicer in pictures than in real life. Well, that being my personal opinion..

Tulips for example are nice for its vibrant colours, strikingly beautiful under the sun. The bulb fields stretched along the countryside of Amsterdam and we can observe whole field of tulip...but still not in full bloom. Nevertheless, the garden Keukenhof was not a dissappointment actually. It displayed the most prettiest flowers: daffodils, tulips, and many more I can't even recall their names, and here, they made it somehow to display full bloomed tulips. They're gorgeous with the right blend of colours, the garden was breathtakingly beautiful (I am running out of vocab here).. But, that's it, for tulips, nothing more than that. I would vote for roses on top of tulip, at least roses can looked pretty and smell nice at the same time.

The windmills are magnificient.. the ambiance surrounding it was very serene and calm. Even the ducks are really friendly too.. Haha.. I really like it there.


Friendly neighbourhood of Kinderdijk


A real Dutch Lady in Alkmaar!

The cheese market at Alkmaar was the place to go if you want to see the locals, what's up in their calender for Spring/Summer. Really an experience to be there.

Their port city, Rotterdam was also a place to be, it is here where many famous sailors, shipping company originate. Located at southern Holland, Rotterdam lies at muara sungai facing the open sea.


On board the ship that Aidie is navigating ..
almost crashing into those other boats behind us (hehe.. berlakon jek).

Being modernize now, Amsterdam is becoming the city of heaven. I am talking about its redlight district.. phew.. we stayed there, and we saw it all (wink^ wink^).... this is the city where it proudly annouces that Marijuanna is legal to be sold and smoke here..

Oh ya, there are so many (too much) canals in Holland and Amsterdam itself than there are streets for other motor vehicles. I even make a remark, the difference between Malaysian's address for home is we use Jalan (street) names, Hollanders uses Canal names (joke joke..) Canals are like the main transportation for them, seems every house will have their own boat parking.

Yes, their transport system are excellent... they have trams and busses to transport you withing the city, just buy a strippenkart for a cheaper rate rather than buying from the counter inside the tram... only thing you need to be familiar to get these cards/tickets stamped. BUT.. the infamous transport system is alway the traditional bicycle. I can confirm with my own judgement that there are many more bicycles in Holland than cars. Pity, we didn't have the pleasure of using one during our stay. Millions and billions of bikes were parked in front of the train station, Rotterdam.. just amazing to see it that amount.. All are not racing bikes, just normal basikal tua type..

~Cheers~

No comments: