Thursday, May 05, 2005

Should I or should I not?

I have heard the manifestos from some the contending parties.. but I still can't figure out which ones I should vote for. Here's a list of reasons why I should and should not vote for each of the parties.

Labour

Leader : Tony Blair

What I like:

The economic upbeat since Tony Blair steps up after John Major.

What I don’t like:

The decision on going to war with Iraq. Big mistake Mr. Blair, will lose vote on this major issue. However, I can feel that many Britons, as some of whom I talked to would forgive him for that mistake, as long he promised to not to repeat it again. Many were against Blair because he literally didn’t do anything (at all) on the kidnapping of the British citizens in Iraq, two of whom were beheaded by the militants group due to not fulfilling their demands in letting free the women prisoners in Iraq.

Conservative

Leader: Micheal Howard

What I like:

Is against Iraq war and fair tax to everyone, put more police on the beat to cut down crime rate is one of their main stand out points why we should vote for Tory’s. This Tory leader is opposing the idea of European Constitution because in a way, it takes away the “goodness” of being a British. Good point in a way. Conservatives believe that Britain should remain an independent state and that our country should not be submerged into a single European state.

What I don’t like:

The promise of wanting to give tighter control on immigrants, I bet he’s already having headache just to think of the starting point of how to do it. If he really does want to send back immigrants, immediately, the National Health Service (NHS) will collapse overnight due to sudden shortage of staffs (80-90% are immigrants).

Liberal-Democrate

Leader:Charles Kennedy

What I like:

Promised a better government, which is….by “Slimming the Government - the Lib Dem plan for cutting the size of government” AND issues on climate change.. wow, does he really concern with the environment?

What I don’t like:

I don’t know actually, apart from their plans to raise the tax for a person’s income. There’s already too many, way too many taxes the current government had put onto the people, the hardworking mass (these are minus points for the Labour) to balance the economy and combat poverty which is good in a way but support single mothers???


I still have a couple of hours IF I finally decide which to vote. Oh yes, didn't I mention, I have already the right to go for voting. Yup, merely six months and with no hassle at all, our names were already listed to go for voting. If only this small details be implement in Malaysia, I would gladly go out and vote, to fulfill my rights.

Crudely, these are the opinions and impressions that I have on them. Don't be too confident now Labour, the Tory's and Lib Dem are not going to make it easy this time. Till then, we'll wait to see who will take the place at No. 10, Downing Street later tomorrow.

1 comment:

Saifster said...

Isn't it true that in Britain voting is not compulsory? Fair enough that you would want a government that has its main interest in the well being of their citizens, and not for personal or power-hungry goals. And the only ligitimate way of expressing yourself is to go to the polls. But if i was in your position, i would think twice about voting. Unless your stay there turns out to be long term, then i would vote, definitely. I've always had a thing against politics, even in Australian politics. Recent events has shifted my paradigm: most politicians are not trustworthy. People's opinion in a democratic system seems to have failed countless times. Marxism is soo ideal, but it can never be realised. Still, i really enjoyed your views on the British political system and its main contenders. Enlightening and very insightful :)