Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Let's get started... what are ionic liquids.

Ionic liquids are organic salts with melting points under 100 degrees, often even lower than room temperature. Recently they are employed more and more as substitute for the traditional organic solvents in chemical reactions. The most common ones are imidazolium and pyridinium derivatives, but also phosphonium or tetralkylammonium compounds can be used for this purpose. Lately, we have introduced the environmental friendly halogen-free ionic liquids .

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Brands/Fluka___Riedel_Home/Organic___Synthetic/Ionic_Liquids.html

This is my first attempt to start my disseration project. I think I shall need to follow some sort of a plan like this one below.

Stage 1: Study these.. (preliminary)
Stage 2: Categorize the information
Stage 3: Decide which area to be more specific
Stage 4: Define the objectives and work baundaries
Stage 5: Plan a working research method

These are only the outline for the literature research... the bulk of the work is yet to to be discovered...

(Thanks to my supervisor, Prof P. Sharratt for enlightening my thinking on this area that is highly regarded as a clean technology for chemical operation. However, it has yet being verified in terms of its practicality and environmental suitability which is what I am suppose to find out.)

No comments: