Sunday, February 06, 2005

Macroscopically into Manchester

Macroscopically into Manchester means an angle of view that is broad enough but not too big to describe. Something that many of us here realized but not giving enough attention that it was there.

This first picture was taken this evening on my way to Trafford Center, along the road of a very complicated name (the view from the upper tier of the double deck was perfect for me to take my shots, provided the sun’s still up, the pictures would be really nice). The Municipal Council had tried to live up the small town of Old Trafford, well I hardly call it a town. From the point where I have taken this picture, it will take about 5-7 minutes more to reach the magnificent Old Trafford Stadium, “The Theatre of Dreams”.... If anyone would expect a huge “Welcome to Old Trafford” sign……. Well.. this is what you are going to get. Nothing more than a mere lamp post deco..come to think of it, it actually does prove real good effort, because there are many more of the lamp posts being 'dressed up' like this..

Old Trafford welcomes you..




The Britannia Hotel, formerly known as Watt's Warehouse.. Dated back in 1858 where the heart of Industrial Revolution started, it is well known in the world (that time) as the cotton "Cash & Carry"(this reminds me of my Chem Eng Department, we call it The Mill for some reason). This premier architechtural building is still standing & fully refurbished just down town Manchester City Center...
Before I came here, this is among the first building and places that I wanted to see. Having being described to me (by someone) as one of Manchester’s premier hotel, it seems to me it is popular since it is strategically located on the busiest street in Manchester (Portland Street).


The High Streets of Greater Manchester, is just a stroll away from Britannia Hotel. So you see, it is not as colourful as those in London or Liverpool and as sunny as those in KL.. The sun (ray to be precise) is only visible 1-2 times a week.. Gloomy winter, if it had snowed, the mood would have changed dramatically into “jolly” but we are now heading spring. I would love to see colourful flowers bloom in this boring city..

No comments: